Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Big Steak Salad

I have been craving a big steak salad after watching Pioneer Woman make one on her 16-Minute Meals episode.  I kind of altered a few things, but here is what I came up with.

I started by prepping my onion rings. I sliced them very thin and soaked them in buttermilk. Buttermilk seems gross, but it's the kicker for good onion rings.



After I soaked them for about 30-45 minutes, I made my flour mixture. This you can make however you'd like. My concoction started with a bunch of flour and the following spices:



I didn't measure any of this, just dumped away!

I heated my oil in my little, handy fryer. I love this thing! We use it all of the time...I know, frying is bad. Oh well.



Dredge your onion rings in the flour and toss 'em in the oil. Not sure how long I left them in there, but just wait until they are nice and brown. :) 



YUM. 

Healthy...
Not.

As for the steaks, well- that's the hub's department. We got a big fat ribeye from the butcher and had him cut it in half so it wasn't so thick. He did his thing on the charcoal grill and they came out perfect.



For my dressing I made a version of homemade ranch:


The packet of Ranch calls for one cup of milk and one cup of mayo. I did 1/2 c. of buttermilk, 1/2 c. 2% milk, and 1 c. of plain yogurt! I like my dressing more on the thin side, so I added a little extra milk. Just a little though.

My actual salad part just consisted of romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, & cucumbers. You can go all kinds of crazy here, but I just stuck to a few of the basics.

After you have all of your components, just load it up. My final product looked a little something like this:


...and let me just tell ya,  it was good. Real good. ;)

...and because it's Spring, here are a couple of festive pics!



Happy Friday!


post signature

1 comment: